Boston, Brahms, Adventists, Daniel etc.
In about 10 days, I will be traveling to Boston April 29- May 4 for the American Academy of Neurology annual meeting. In addition to some great education (for example, I will attend a conference all day on Sunday on Neuro Critical Care, and other days attend lectures on neuro-otology, MS, etc.) I also plan to do some site-seeing while I am there.
I will get the opportunity to hear the Boston Symphony perform Brahms' 3rd symphony and his 1st piano concerto with Emanuel Ax performing. I love Brahms' music. I also plan on going to the art museum and Little Italy while I am there. What I am most looking forward to is traveling to Washington, NH to visit the first Sabbath-keeping Adventist church and on the same day plan on heading over to William Miller's farm in upstate New York. I have become an Adventist and Millerite history buff and spend much of my free time reading about it. Right now I am reading Froom's Vol. 4 of Prophetic Faith of Our Fathers and have reached pg. 950 out of 1200. There is no doubt that the Advent Movement, of which I am proudly part of today, is simply God's end-time fulfillfent of prophecy to prepare people for translation. So, I'm looking forward to taking a look at some Adventist history up in New England where the movement first took off.
On another note, I'm having a great time leading out in a study on the book of Daniel right now. We've just finished chapter 7 of Daniel. The book of Daniel is all about pointing God's end-time people to the investigative judgment and the cleansing of the sanctuary, and the name Daniel itself means "God is my judge". Interesting considering that the word Laodicea means "A Judged people". It's also interesting Jesus tells us in Matthew 24 to read and understand this book. There's no getting around that the book of Daniel is for us as Adventists today with the purpose of helping us to prepare for the judgment by looking at Daniel's example in the first 6 chapters, and the specific prophecies that point to the time of judgment in the last 6 chapters.
May we stand in that great day and may it be soon!

4 Comments:
That sounds like a good conference coming up, too bad it is not in Orlando and we could meet up. No, those are some good sights that you will be able to see. I can remember back in 1996 when our family went to those very sights. That's neat you have the priviledge of going back. Hope all is well and talk to you soon
Norman, that was our old stomping ground. I love that Boston area. While you are in Boston you will want to look for the "Freedom Trail." (If it still exists). It goes past many of the great landmarks of the War of Independence like site of the Boston Massacre, Paul Revere's church, etc. There are little footprints in the cement that you follow. Of course this is the way it was in the 70s and the footprints might have faded by now ;-0 It is really worth having a day just in Boston to see the rise of the lamblike beast—a direct fulfillment of prophecy too. Laurel Damsteegt (from Rome!)
Hey, I've been on the Freedom Trail. It was worth it, to see all of the key sights. Boston has a nice feel to it. It is kind of colonial when you go on the downtown streets.
Enjoy your trip to Boston. Our family spent two days there last summer when on vacation. The Red line in the cobblestone streets marks the Freedom Trail. I recommend stopping at one of the gift shops and picking up a book that outlines everything on the trail so you can decide what you want to go to and read all about the site. There was a really amazing cemetery from the 1600s that has many famous people in it including the boston massacre victims and Paul Revere.
Post a Comment
<< Home