Election
It's been a very interesting week to be an American. The Democrats swept the House of Representatives and ran the table essentially to win 6 out of 7 seats to narrowly re-capture the senate. Why do I believe this is a good thing? Well, we now have a balance of power in Washington that will keep the extreme right in check. Also, the evangelicals, who have enormous influence within the GOP, will have a more blunted voice. While I disagree with the Democratic party on pushing homosexuality and abortion rights, as an Adventist, I am much more uncomfortable with how the GOP has been recklessly breaking down the wall of separation between church and state and I feel that my personal liberty and Religious liberty is much safer within the Democratic party.
For a change, the president may now be forced to listen to other voices than the narrow list of advisers he's been listening to. The Republican party has been destroyng our personal freedoms with things such as the Patriot Act. The Iraq war was never carefully thought through and now we are paying the price. The American people have spoken. And for the record, I was against the Iraq war from day one and have never seen the connection between Iraq and 9/11.
The Bible says that God sets up kings and takes them down. It appears that Bush has been taken down for now. It does make me wonder though if we ae as SDAs have not been taking advantage of the opportunites God has given us recently. We know what will happen at the end of time with America joining hands with the papacy. It seems that this president has done more than any other to link hands with the papacy. My cousin JD e-mailed me recently and said it best when he said that the low point of the Bush years has been Bush kneeling at the feet of a dead pope. Perhaps the four angels are holding the four winds a little longer because we as SDAs are not ready and we need a little more time. Let us redouble our efforts to take this message to the world in this generation.

2 Comments:
Low point? That was the high point of his presidency. The low point of the 2nd Term was definitely Katrina, followed by the torture defense, followed by....
I agree with you Norman. The Iraq war and the attacks on 911 have what connection???
I hope that we all re-examine our lives and, with God's help, do our best to make sure we are living up to all the light that God has so graciously given.
Post a Comment
<< Home