Saturday, October 17, 2015

Issues in Righteousness

I came across a really great quote this evening from my favorite author, Ellen White. Before I share it though, I wanted to add this preface. Some "conservative" Adventist preachers and theologians are saying that we are saved only by Christ's imputed righteousness, which is outside of us, and nothing that Christ does in us has anything to so with our salvation. After reading the following quote, tell me what you think.

By the way, Ellen White is quoting Jesus verbatim from a vision she had. Notice what Jesus says: "Through faith in My name, He will impart to you the sanctification and holiness which will fit you for His work in a world of sin, and qualify you for an immortal inheritance in His kingdom." ST June 18, 1896

Here Jesus is showing us what the Father will do in us through faith in Jesus.

Clearly, if imparted righteousness, the righteousness or sanctification in us, qualifies us for an immortal inheritance, then how can a righteousness outside of us be the only qualification to being saved. I believe more than ever before, that we are saved by God declaring and making us righteous. The two components are inseparable.

I believe that certain SDA theologians want to believe that being saved is dependent only on a declared righteouness because they don't want to give up their darling sins like gossiping, snapping at their wife, eating in between meals, and the list goes on and on. If they are saved by an outside covering without internal transformation, then they can "believe" and still continue with their "occasional" mishaps and not have to worry about it.

I'm thankful for the power of the gospel in which God is so powerful that He can transform us and sanctify us so that we can overcome even the socially acceptable sins.

That's my thought for the end of the week and the beginning of a new one. Hope all of you had a good Sabbath and are closer to Jesus because of it.

3 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Interestingly, earlier on in that article, she says:

The only-begotten Son of God made manifest what humanity may become. In his sanctified human nature he revealed what man must be.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Norman McNulty said...

Very nice. I hadn't read that part of the article.

Again, if we "must be" what Jesus was in his sanctified human nature, then necessarily being sanctified like Jesus is part of the requirement of salvation. Not just what he does outside of us.

I'm glad Jesus gives us the perfect example.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger limkenfl said...

Alright then. Good points! Nice quote keep it up!
kpl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home